Frequently Asked Questions
Do my prayers really have power?
The short answer is YES, they do! Check out these bible verses to encourage you:
Psalm 107:28-30; Matthew 7:7; Matthew 21:22; Mark 9:29; Mark 11:24; Phillipians 4:6-7
Why should I pray for Catholic Priests?
As the patron of our campaign St. John Vianney once said, "A priest goes to Heaven or a priest goes to Hell with a thousand people behind.”
Priests are the shepherds of the Church! The way they carry out their duties influences a countless number of souls throughout their lifetime. We need to pray for the spiritual strengthening of our priests so they can spiritually nourish us, their flock.
Why the Rosary? Can't I just pray from the heart?
St. Padre Pio told us that the rosary is the 'weapon' for these times. Why did he use the word weapon? The power of the rosary can be derived from a few different places:
1) It is scriptural. The Rosary consists of repeating the Our Father, the prayer Jesus Christ Himself taught us, and the Angelic Salutation, as seen in Luke 1:28.
2) A countless number of Saints and Popes have recommended it to us. These holy individuals include St. Padre Pio, St. Mother Teresa, St. Pope John Paul II, St. Francis de Sales, and many, many more.
3) The most obvious reason we should pray the Rosary is that Mary asked us to! in 1858 Our Lady appeared to a young girl by the name of Bernadette Soubirous in Lourdes, France
with a Rosary in her hand. Mary asked Bernadette to dig a well near the grotto she had appeared. A miraculous well sprung out of the ground and it is now a famous pilgrimage site for Catholics around the world. Countless medically documented miracles have been recorded there. Another famous apparation of Our Lady happened in Fátima, Portugal in 1917 where she again emphasized the need to
pray the Rosary every single day.
Above all, the Rosary is about getting to Jesus, through Mary. Jesus gifted Mary to us on the Cross (see John 19:27), and by praying the Rosary we are approaching her as our Mother and asking for her powerful intercession in our lives.
How do I pray the Rosary?
1. Make the Sign of The Cross
2. Pray the Apostle's Creed
3. Pray an Our Father
4. Pray 3 Hail Mary's for the three theological virtues: Faith, Hope, and Charity
5. Pray the Glory Be
6. (First Decade) Pray an Our Father, 10 Hail Mary's, the Glory Be, and the Fatima Prayer* while meditating on the Mystery
7. Continue Step 6 until all 5 Mysteries are prayed
8. Pray the 'Hail Holy Queen'
9. End the Rosary with the Sign of the Cross.
Mysteries of The Rosary**
Joyful Mysteries: Monday and Saturday
Luminous Mysteries: Thursday
Sorrowful Mysteries: Tuesday and Friday
Glorious Mysteries: Wednesday and Sunday
*Fatima Prayer: O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in the most need of Thy mercy.
**Mysteries of the Rosary: You can search these mysteries online for additional context. Each mystery in some way helps us meditate more deeply on the life of Christ.
How do I add priests to the prayer list?
Thank you for your desire to support our Catholic Priests! Right now, the St. John Vianney Rosary Campaign is a grassroots movement and our list of priests is constantly expanding.
For now, you can email us at "email@example.com". We will get back to you as soon as possible with further instructions so that we can get as many priests as possible on the prayer list.
Until then, as St. Padre Pio said, "Pray, hope, and don't worry!"
Why is this prayer campaign a decade of the Rosary per day?
When the idea for this prayer campaign was conceived, we wanted to make sure there was a consistency and a simplicity to the prayers we were going to be asking of people. Essentially, we wanted to make sure those volunteering knew exactly what they were signing up for.
Next, we wanted to make sure that the Rosary was the focal point of our campaign. The Rosary is a
powerful prayer for several reasons (see question below). While we certainly hope that every Catholic is praying a full Rosary per day aside from this campaign, we didn't want to ask too much of those signing up.
By making this campaign a daily decade of the Rosary, you only need to donate a few minutes of your time each day. However, by the end of the month, you will have roughly prayed 6 cumulative Rosaries for the priest you're assigned to! That's a lot of prayers added up over time.